Monday, March 31, 2008

Chicago House of Blues Rocks

For Valentines Day I booked tickets to two concerts that I thought Keith would like to see. At the end of February we went to see the first one, Jeremey Camp & Toby Mac. It was at the Congress Theatre, which I thought was closed but apparently not. Although it was revealed to me that as few as 10 years ago it was a porn house. Lovely. The concert was ok, we were the oldest people in the crowd, and it was so loud I thought I would throw up! I look forward to seeing Jeremey Camp in a future acoustic tour, that would rock.

So, last night we went to the second concert. It was Decyfur Down, Thousand Foot Crutch, and Skillet. I had seen Skillet before at Lifest, so I had an idea of the deicibel level at their concerts- I brought ear plugs this time! We arrive at Chicago's House of Blues- probably my favorite venue in the city. Back in the day (when I actually went out on weeknights and knew a few local bands worth listening to) I've seen quite a few local bands perform there and it's just a really intimate venue, they have a few food items- not the regular hot dogs and beer- good atmosphere too. There was a line over the Dearborn St. bridge, it was so cold and I didn't wear a coat- grr.. not a good start to the night. We get inside at the end of the opener, and lucky for us- because I've been there so many times, I head straight for the over 21 level upstairs. We scored two stools right in the center. I noticed that the opera boxes hadn't been sold/filled- another guy there was trying to haggle with the usher for a price to use the box- yeah right, pay the usher to let you in- and be ushered out by security for not having a ticket, LOL. I went and found a guy with an earpiece (note to self, must be official to be linked into the wireless system) He hooked me up with two passes to the opera boxes- for free! It was great to be able to see and SIT! Add that up with my handy dandy ear plugs- it was more than tolerable- I actually had fun! The girls in the band totally rocked out, really high energy and great show. And I think that Keith was thrilled- that's what really mattered! I love HOB!


Our view of Jeremy Camp @ Congress Theatre

No comments: